And somehow 2013 is past and we are nearly through February of the new year. While the photo of Angel catching the fainting man is a bit dramatic, I thought it an appropriate way to remember my father in law and a very dear friend who left this world last winter. 2013 was a year of incredible loss and amazing prosperity for Scott and I. Scott's father rallied enough to spend Christmas (2012) with three of his children. Just after his daughters went back to their lives, his health went into a rapid decline. Just a month later, my friend Holly, inspirer and creator of hope, creativity, and good nature decided that it was time to stop fighting the cancer that was determined to take her on the next part of her journey.
Holly's life and somehow even her death inspired in me a renewed determination to live as fully as possible. What do we have to lose after all? I threw myself into the music that I was preparing with a local band (lucky me) and channeled Holly's courage and a little of Joni Mitchell to sing with every ounce of my being. I love to sing and to share that with others. Last May, I finally found the way to perform with love and generosity - without fear. How could I be afraid of sharing something I love after watching Holly's courage and good will in the face of illness and death? I've sung/performed since then but that performance was an act of faith, a declaration of life and a song of gratitude for Holly.
While I was rehearsing and fretting over what to wear for the performance, Scott began the work of building what will be our retirement home. With the help of some fabulous helpers and Scott's amazing stamina and vision, he took what was once a rickety beach cottage (2x2 construction that screamed and whined every time the wind blew) and turned it into a beautiful home. The project is still in the works, but nearly done despite the rainiest spring we'd had in year (rain and no roof are never a good combination).
Last year also brought a promotion at work; saying goodbye to a dear friend and colleague who moved to Hawaii complete with sentimental good bye parties (the only kind to have); and working longer hours than I ever hope to again. There was no gardening for these poor knees but friend Deb surprised me by turning over and planting my vegetable garden when I wasn't looking! One of the best gifts I've ever received. The Fall brought us closer to completion on the cottage and the sudden death of our beloved Otis - the wonder dog. By the holiday season, we were both pooped (OK, I was pooped, Scott never seems to run out of gas but lets me take the lead at holidays). So, no parties and I STILL have some holiday gifts to get into the mail. (This blog is not the only thing that I have trouble keeping up with.)
As we enter 2014, I am preparing for a knee replacement and frantically preparing myself for the adventure. My monkey mind wraps its tail around a million and one worries before a major surgery and I may just use this blog to help me bring some order out of the chaos that I feel now and then. This blog entry feels more like the Christmas letters I don't usually write but I couldn't just jump into the present without giving at least a nod to the monumental 2013. If I've been absent here, it's because I've been very present everywhere else. For that, I am grateful.
Otis in full snowy gallop after last year's February blizzard.
No comments:
Post a Comment