Saturday, September 15, 2012

Barn Raising



Barn Raising
for my husband on his 60th birthday

When the post and beam walls are lifted into place
perspiring men breath each other’s exhalations
and tremble as they hold the piece erect
until the wood groans and drops into precise slots
Ready to stand at attention for centuries

It is a stylized dance with the builder calling out the steps
and willing neighbors guiding beams into slots
handing floor board up the stairless stories

All day there is the smell of wood and sweat
forty minds and bodies in full agreement
bend, lift, hold
the ache of beams sliding into place
the thud of mallet hitting peg

And as I watch you work among these neighbors and strangers
I see your bones and muscles relax into a rhythm
that you have known for a lifetime
You and your companions are grace and brawn and purpose

And I stop worrying if you are up to the job 
Realizing that this is all you’ve ever been up to
taking disparate parts of the world
and piecing them together into something useful and beautiful

And for a day I stop fretting over how we’ll
wrap up our somewhat disappointing careers
and begin to imagine all the ways we can combine the rest of our lives
so much building yet to come

No comments:

Post a Comment