Sunday, February 12, 2012

And the beat goes on



We spent much of the late 90's and early 2000's caring for and letting go of loved ones. It took me four years to feel normal again after my mother's long illness and death. And while I knew it would be temporary, I somehow did not appreciate the recent years when the inevitable human cycle of illness and loss left us in peace. So, now we are helping another beloved through the difficulties of old age. As usual, things do not go as well as we would hope. And we continue, glad to do what we can, trying to wish away the reality that there isn't much we can do. Still, the sun rises and sets. Seasons melt into each other. Still the holly tree bears its red berries and the sun shines through. Happy Sunday all.

4 comments:

  1. Although the content is troubled, the air of this writing is peaceful. I like it when we finally surrender to life the way it actually is instead of the way we wish it to be.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for commenting even while on retreat! Writing helps get me to surrender.

      Delete
  2. Maggie, What a beautiful post. I'm so glad I stopped by to read it. My mom died a year ago on Jan. 1, and as her birthday came and went this year, I missed her more than ever.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Losing mom is a lifechanger. I hope you find more and more peace as time goes by. I don't think the missing changes but it doesn't hurt as much. (P.S. for some reason your comment went to spam so I didn't notice it right away.0

      Delete