Friday, May 15, 2009

Getting Started




"There are moments when I glimpse another self swimming as if in a great watery world beneath all the definitions I have been given. It may be in movements, or meditation, wakefulness or near sleep, and suddenly a door has opened as if into a vast room. I discover dimensions in myself I had not known before and yet recognize with some sorrow as if I had been separated from an old friend for too long."

Susan Griffin The Eros of Everyday Life



So many long lost friends. Some of them to death, some to life changes, many to human frailty and failures of courage or imagination. At nearly 48 years old, my trail is strewn with people and passions I have loved and continue to love dearly. Yet, like a toddler, I drop my beloved toys along the way, missing them later, sometimes able to re-collect the beloved, sometimes having to let them go. So, sometimes it's poetry, other times singing, sometimes long talks with one friend, often long periods of neglecting those I love the most... But this blog is intended to celebrate and nurture life. More joy, less mourning, or, at least, to put mourning in it's place. In graduate school I studied Systems Theory because I wanted to help people make BIG changes in their lives. As I have had the privilege to witness the lives of individuals and families, I have come to appreciate the profound effect of small, earnest changes. I have learned that shining a light and accepting what is is often most transformative and healing. So, with this post, I shine a small light on the intention to hold life in the light of reverence and curiosity. May the light shine on all who stop here. Maybe you, too, can experience more joy.

3 comments:

  1. Ciao Maggie,
    thank you for stopping by my place. Wow, a first time blogger! I've started only a few months ago, and it's been life-changing. It's great to witness the birth of a blog like this, and reading a "first post," it's a privilege. I will be looking forward to that shining light, and sharing stories, poems, recipes and joy through our posts. Welcome to blogland!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i love what you say here. i know i will love to read your thoughts. ;)

    ~Silver
    from One Day at a Time with Silver/
    Reflections

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh how exciting - comments! And lovely supportive comments at that. I'm a bit stymied about this process but have found other's blogs so inspiring that I wanted to jump in. Thanks for reading and commenting.

    ReplyDelete